I am senior civil and criminal litigator heading the litigation department at Steindle Williams Legal. I have practiced for over 30 years as both a partner in another law firm and as a barrister and have headed up the litigation department of Steindle Williams Legal for over 10 years.
At Steindle Williams Legal I have developed a strong and dedicated litigation team comprising of three solicitors. Being involved in court proceedings can be a stressful and challenging time for clients and so I work with clients to guide them through the process with clear and practical advice about what to expect at all times.
I have a wide range of experience in litigation including:
Civil and commercial law:
Representing clients and appearing in the District Court and High Court in relation to:
- Contractual disputes
- Injunction proceedings
- Negligence claims
- Estate and trust claims
- Liquidations and Bankruptcy
- Judicial Review proceedings
- Weathertightness proceedings
- Proceedings under the Fair Trading Act
Arbitration disputes in relation to a wide range of commercial transactions and deals with alternative dispute resolution mechanisms
Mediations and dispute resolutions
Weathertight Homes Tribunal
My recent civil experience includes:
- Judicial Review Proceedings
- Defending a company in a multi-party claim for alleged negligence in a leaky building development for $30 million
- Commercial Arbitration proceedings involving a claim for damages and abatement of rental as a result of damage caused in the Christchurch earthquakes
- Estate and trust claim: issuing proceedings in the High Court for a beneficiary against a deceased estate and family trust claiming a lack of testamentary capacity resulting in a substantially increased settlement from the estate / trust for the beneficiary.
I regularly appear in a full range of criminal courts including the District Court, Youth Court, & High Court conducting Criminal defence, including Crimes Act, Misuse of Drugs Act prosecutions and serious traffic matters. I also appear in the appellate jurisdiction in the High Court and Court of Appeal.
I also have particular expertise in Liquor Licensing Tribunal matters.
My recent Criminal / Tribunal experience includes:
- Extradition proceedings
- Murder – I appeared as lead counsel in a high profile murder trial at the Auckland High Court in October and November 2016 resulting in the client being acquitted.
- Coroners court hearing
- Representing applicant at hearing for opposed application for renewal of Liquor Licence for Nightclub / Bar